class-SLM

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at speech.sri.com
Thu Mar 14 14:25:18 PST 2002

Hongqin,

there is no guarantee that a class-based LM will have lower perplexity
than a word-based one.  For small, task-oriented domains with little
training data (think ATIS), you can usually get a good improvement
with hand-defined word classes that reflect the properties of
the domain.  For large-vocabulary, unconstrainted domains (such as
Switchboard or Broadcast News), a class-based LM by itself will usually
have higher perplexity.  However, you can usually get a nice
perplexity reduction by interpolating the word and the class-based LMs.
Mostly, the class-based LM helps with the prediction of unseen word ngrams.

It is pure laziness that the make-ngram-pfsg script cannot handle
4-gram and higher-order LMs at this point.  It shouldn't be hard to
do.  If anybody wants to contribute a generalized version I'd be happy
to incorporate it.

--Andreas