ARPA format (sorting)

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at speech.sri.com
Tue Mar 11 14:33:44 PST 2003

I'm not aware of any specific sorting requirements.  SRILM outputs the
N-grams in and order that optimizes memory caching behavior (essentially
by proximity in the underlying tree data structure), but of course it
can read N-grams in any order.

However, I have heard that some CMU software (like Sphinx) expects the
N-grams to be sorted lexicographically left-to-right.  The latest release
contains a script "sort-lm" that reorders the N-grams in a manner that
should be agreeable to the CMU software.  It is documented in the lm-scripts(1)
man page.

--Andreas