FW: A simple question about SRILM

Roy Bar Haim barhaim at cs.technion.ac.il
Mon May 17 11:25:52 PDT 2004

Hi,

I have the same problem. I want the LM to give maximum-likelihood estimates.
That is, all the backoff weights should be zero.

I applied the solution below, but still I get backoff weights.

For example, when I build the lm like this:
ngram-count -order 3 -gt1max 0 -gt2max 0 -gt3max 0 -text corpus.tags -lm corpus.tags.lm

I found that the once-occuring trigrams DO NOT APPEAR in the lm, so probablity mass is still discounted.

When I turned on the debug messages, I saw many messages like:
warning: 0 backoff probability mass left for "AT SCLN" -- incrementing denominator

Does it mean that smoothing is enforced here?

Is there a way to get a pure maximum-likelihood language model, without backoff weights at all, using ngram-count?

Thanks,
Roy.