Naive question about unknown words

Anand Venkataraman (Roaming) anand at speech.sri.com
Tue Oct 11 09:19:19 PDT 2005

Arnaud

When you created the language model, you specified that you wanted to
create an unknown word (placeholder for out-of-vocabulary items) with a
non-zero probability.  Since you didn't invoke ngram also with the -unk
option, it warns that you are using a supposedly closed vocabulary lm,
but that it has a non-zero prob for unk.  You can avoid it by specifying
-unk for ngram as well, or alternately, building a closed vocab lm to
start with (i.e. ngram-count without -unk).  Although you state that you
want to have a non-zero weight for unknown unigrams, I would recommend
that if at all possible, you predetermine the domain vocab and build a
closed vocab LM.

Regards

&