deleted estimation using SRILM

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at speech.sri.com
Wed Dec 6 14:07:11 PST 2006

In message <Pine.LNX.4.62L.0612061422120.13078 at athena.lcs.mit.edu>you wrote:
> Hello Andreas,
>
> I have the latest SRILM toolkit version and I am trying to implement
> deleted interpolation using ngram/ngram-count but I cannot seem to get it
> to work. Would it be possible to get a sample of how the command(s) would
> look like?

The latest version of SRILM implements deleted interpolation as part
of the "count-LM" LM class.  Look up the -count-lm option in both the
ngram-count and the ngram man pages.
Then look at $SRILM/test/tests/ngram-count-lm/run-test for an example
of how it all fits together.

Deleted interpolation is not typically as good as other schemes such
as modified Kneser Ney smoothing, but has some practical advantages
(efficient memory implementation) when applied to very large count sets.