tcl and gawk problems when compiling SRIL 1.5.3

Mats Svenson svmats at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 31 14:43:13 PDT 2007

Dear SRILM users,
 I have just tried to compile the current SRILM
version and several problems surprised me.

1)  As to the tcl, the INSTALL file reads that:
"TCL_INCLUDE, TCL_LIBRARY:  to whatever is needed to
find the Tcl header files and library.
    If Tcl is not available, set NO_TCL=X and leave
the above variables empty."

I have an openSUSE system (10.0) with tcl installed,
but there's no "tcl.h" file present and I didn't find
appropriate rpm to obtain it. If I use "NO_TCL=X",
will it affect SRILM's functionality? What is tcl good
for there?

2) As to gawk, the INSTALL file reads that:
Recent versions of gawk may not perform correct
floating-point arithmetic unless either LC_NUMERIC=C
or LC_ALL=C is set in the environment. This affects
many of the scripts in utils/.

Does it mean that with non-standard locales, SRILM
does not work corretly? Does it affect model
parameters estimation?

Thanks,
 Mats