new to srilm, first ngram-count with discount coeff out of range warning

SAI TANG HUANG sai_tang_huang at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 20 18:37:51 PST 2008

Hi SRILM team,

My name is Sai Tang and I am a student at the University of Brighton. My project involves using SRILM to create language models as well as calculating entropies. I have just managed to get my first LM file after running ngram-count on a text file as follows:

sai at uk-notebook:~/Desktop$ ngram-count -order 2 -text Merged_File.txt -lm file

file is my lm file.

The file was created, however I got a warning message during the run of the ngram-count:

warning: discount coeff 1 is out of range: -2.26158e-17

My experience in NLP is not very complete and it's also the first time I use SRILM. I would appreciate it a lot if someone could help me with this. Also is this the address I have to right to in order to post to the mailing list?

Kind regards,

Sai