wild cards

Dmitriy Dligach Dmitriy.Dligach at colorado.edu
Thu Apr 17 10:01:29 PDT 2008

Hello,

I am new to language modeling and to SRILM so I appologize if this
question has already been discussed here:

SRILM can compute the probability of a string such as "a b c d e". I was
wondering if there is a way to compute the probability of a string where
one of the words is a wildcard. E.g., suppose I want to compute the
probability of "a b * d e" where "*" is any word.

I believe this probability P(a, b, *, d, e) can be approximated as
P(a, b) * P(d, e), but I am still wondering whether there is a better way
to compute it (e.g. by passing the wildcard to SRILM).

I need it to compute a conditional probability (e.g. P(c | a, b, d, e)).

Thank you!

Dmitriy