[SRILM User List] -posterior-decode vs -viterbi-decode

Ilana Heintz heintz.38 at osu.edu
Thu Jan 21 13:44:28 PST 2010

Hello,

I am trying to work out the differences between two ways of decoding an
HTK lattice using higher-order ngram models.  My main question is, does
the -posterior-decode option take into account the higher-order n-grams?

I am using these commands:

lattice-tool -read-htk -in-lattice-list htklats -lm expD9a.lm
  -viterbi-decode -unk -keep-unk -order $i

or

lattice-tool -read-htk -in-lattice htklats -lm expD9a.lm
-posterior-decode -unk -keep-unk -order $i

where expD9a.lm includes up to 6-grams, is calculated with Witten-Bell
discounting, and $i ranges from 3 to 6. I get the following results,
which represent the accuracy of the chosen paths for the 80 utterances in
htklats:

For -viterbi-decode:
3-grams 72.34
4-grams 72.42
5-grams 72.36
6-grams 72.36

For -posterior-decode:
3-grams 74.43
4-grams 74.43
5-grams 74.43
6-grams 74.43

In looking more closely at the -posterior-decode results, I'm pretty sure
it's giving the same best path every time, regardless of the order of the
LM.  Also, when I use the -debug 2 flag, I notice that with
-posterior-decode, this note:

Lattice::expandToLM: starting expansion to general LM (maxNodes = 0) ...

comes _after_ the best path is given.  Should I interpret this to mean
that the expansion (which I think means making the lattice include
higher-order probabilities) does not happen in time for the decode? Is
there a way to change that, since the posterior decode seems to be working
better than viterbi in this instance?

Any insight on how these two decode methods work, or what situations each
is more appropriate for, would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ilana