[SRILM User List] a question about srilm

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at speech.sri.com
Thu Feb 11 09:58:10 PST 2010

On 2/10/2010 9:32 PM, Sun, Xie (MU-Student) wrote:
> Dear Dr.Andreas Stolcke,
>
> Sorry to bother you again. I know this kind of emails make your life
> really hard.
I would appreciate it if you could join the srilm-user mailing list and
ask your questions there.

> Right now, I want to train a class-based model and then come back with
> the word model. So I use (1), (2) and (3) to create the class model.
> In (4), I want to replace classes with words and generate the trigram
> word model. I am wondering if the commands below are correct:
>
> (1) ngram-class  –vocab dict -tolower –text textfile –numclasses 5
> -classes classfile
>
> (2) replace-words-with-classes classes=classfile textfile >
> output_text_with_classes
>
> (3) ngram-count  -tolower  -text output_text_with_classes   -lm
> class_based_model
>
> (4) ngram -lm class_based_model   -classes  classfile  -expand-classes
> 3 -write-lm  output_trigram_word_model
>
> Everytime I tried this, I always get an error as below:
>
> assertion "body !=0" failed: file "../../include/LHash.cc", line 138
>
> Before this error happened, I observed that the memory occupancy could
> be around 2G. But I have 4G memory for my computer. So I don't know
> what's wrong. Could you give me some idea? I will really appreciate
> your help.
You are running out of memory.  That's because -expand-classes can be
very memory intensive.
Even if you have 4GB our operating system might only support up to 2GB
if you are using 32bit pointers.  You might have to compile SRILM for
64bit pointers.  But even that is no guarantee that you will have enough
memory.

You could try pruning the class LM first and then expand.  By choosing
different pruning thresholds you can get a feel for the growth of the
expanded model as a function of the class LM.

Andreas