[SRILM User List] Smoothing Error

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at speech.sri.com
Tue Mar 9 08:16:38 PST 2010

KN smoothing modifies the lower-order counts before estimating
probabilities.
Therefore, the unigram counts in the two cases you ran are not the same.
(You could use the -write option to dump out the modified counts.)
For details, see the Chen & Goodman paper.

BTW, please join the srilm-user group if you plan to use SRILM in a
serious way, and address questions like these to the group.

Andreas