[SRILM User List] classes-format question + followup question

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at icsi.berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 22 13:18:35 PDT 2011

Fabian - wrote:
> Hi,
>

> thank you again for the quick help!
> I added the smoothing and the PPL dropped to 720 which is a bit
> better, but still above the range ~500 which would "feel" correct.
> Anyways,...

You might want to verify that your probabilities are normalized
correctly.  Try ngram -debug 3 -ppl .

> ...I have another question:
>
> why can't i use the static interpolation for interpolating one class
> LMs and word LM? I use a class-based (from ngram-count) or one
> class-based with my own tags with the word-based LM. In the
> documentation it only says -mix-lm with static interpolation won't
> work correct?
I didn't realize you want to interpolate two class-based LMs.  That
should work, you just need to keep the class labels distinct, nad
combine the class definition files in to one file.
> I want to build interpolated LMs (with -write-lm) to use them in my
> ASR, so far I simply used the static interpolation, which seems to
> work more or less OK.
You should be able to ngram -mix-lm -write-lm with two class-based LMs
but WITHOUT using the -classes option when doing so.
If you include the -classes it will be appended to the LM file.

Andreas