[SRILM User List] Unexpected error using make-big-lm

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at icsi.berkeley.edu
Mon Jun 27 14:00:43 PDT 2011

jian zhang wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am very new to srilm tool, i will do my best to explain my problem.
> I am playing around with the feature of building a large language at
> the moment. The batch counts have been built using make-batch-counts
> script. But when i am building the lm, I have got unexpected error like,
> + ngram-count -read - -read-with-mincounts -order 5 -kn1 biglm.kn1
> -kn2 biglm.kn2 -kn3 biglm.kn3 -kn4 biglm.kn4 -kn5 biglm.kn5 -lm
> testlm.lm -interpolate -unk -meta-tag __meta__ -kn-counts-modified
> Unexpected error.
> /home/srilm/bin/make-big-lm: line 225: 27562 Aborted
> ngram-count -read - -read-with-mincounts -order $order $gtflags $options

The ngram-count process exited with an "abort" signal, meaning it
probably ran out of memory.
As a sanity check, try building your LM on a small subset of the data
(say, using no more than a million words), using the same procedure.

Assuming that works, please check the FAQ page on strategies for dealing
with insufficient memory.