[SRILM User List] Language Model Adaptation

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at icsi.berkeley.edu
Sun Jul 3 13:42:04 PDT 2011

Luis Uebel wrote:
> How can I produce a LM adapted for a particular speaker?
You need (a lot) of speaker-specific data.  Then you adapt as you would
to other LM conditions, like specific genres, topics, etc.
> What are the SRILM tools and parameters that I need to use?
Your question is too general.   Start by reviewing the literature on LM
adaptation, or the overview paper by Bellegarda
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.91.4893&rep=rep1&type=pdf
and figure out what methods look promising.

SRILM implements several, but not all of the techniques described.  The
options in the ngram(1) tool that are relevant include

-mix-lm
-bayes
-cache
-adapt-marginals
(and associated options described nearby in the man page).

Andreas