[SRILM User List] Fw: nbest-error option

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at icsi.berkeley.edu
Sun Nov 4 16:02:38 PST 2012

On 11/4/2012 12:52 PM, Md. Akmal Haidar wrote:
> Thanks Anand,
> It works now.
> But I found the same WER for the original n-best list and the rescored
> nbest list.
>
> For rescoring, I use the following command:
> rescore-decipher nbestfilelist new_rescored_nbestlist_dir -lm updated_lm

nbest-error computes the "N-best error rate", meaning the best possible
error rate that can be achieved by picking a hypothesis from anywhere
among the N best.   This is sometimes called the "oracle" error.  It
doesn't changed as a result of rescoring.

What you probably want is the error rate of the highest-scoring
hypothesis.  For this, you first extract the highest-scoring hyps using
the "rescore-reweight" command (see nbest-scripts(1) man page), then you
using your favorite WER scoring program.   If you have NIST sclite
installed, you could use the compute-sclite wrapper, which takes care of
format differences.