[SRILM User List] How to compare LMs training with different vocabularies?

Meng Chen chenmengdx at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 18:40:59 PST 2012

Yes, the number of tokens in training corpus and test set segmented with
vocab2 is more than that with vocab1, so the word PPL diffed so much. I
also did an experiment as follows:
I compared each sentences' logprobs in test set under LM1 and LM2, and
separated the sentences into three sets.
A>B: represents sentences' logprobs with LM2 is higher than LM1
A=B: represents sentences' logprobs with LM2 is equal with LM1
A<B: represents sentences' logprobs with LM2 is lower than LM1
And I found that the CER with LM2 is lower than LM1 in A>B set. It seems
sentences with higher logprobs can have lower CER, assuming acoustic model
is the same under two vocabs. However,  I also found that the CER with LM2
is higher than LM1 in A=B set. So I was wondering whether the acoustic
model is also influenced by vocab and segmentation.

Thanks!

Meng CHEN