[SRILM User List] Detailed description of ngram-count's -skip option

Sander Maijers S.N.Maijers at student.ru.nl
Wed Mar 27 05:44:08 PDT 2013

Hello everyone,

Where can I find more detailed information about the word skipping
algorithm provided by ngram-count? Thus far I found this:

"Skip language models — In this LM, words in the history are
probabilistically skipped, allowing more distant words to take their
places. The skipping probabilities associated with each word are
estimated using expectation maximization." (In SRILM — AN EXTENSIBLE
LANGUAGE MODELING TOOLKIT, Stolcke, 2002)

As I want to refer to this I prefer published scientific work authored
by Andreas Stolcke.

Best,
Sander Maijers