[SRILM User List] Computing nbest-error rate from HTK MLF files

E otheremailid at aol.com
Tue Apr 23 19:20:11 PDT 2013

Hello all,

I have n-best results from HTK for lots of wav files in a single MLF file. I want to compute nbest-error rate using SRILM toolkit. I would like to know -

1. Is there any direct way to convert HTK n-best MLF format into SRILM n-best format (http://www.speech.sri.com/projects/srilm/manpages/nbest-format.5.html). Or should I write a script for that?

2. What does the n-best error actually mean in SRILM? Suppose I have 10 hypotheses for each wav file. I am familiar with usual way of reporting errors using WER.

Does nbest correctness mean the number of words in reference that occur ANYWHERE in the nbest-list? Does nbest deletions mean the number of words in reference that occur NOWHERE in the nbest-list? What does nbest substitutions mean?

Thanks,

Ethan