[SRILM User List] Installing SRILM 1.7.0 on ubuntu 12.04

Ramy Baly rgb15 at aub.edu.lb
Tue May 7 16:32:17 PDT 2013

Hello,

My name is Ramy, I'm a PhD student at the American University of
Beirut, working on Arabic Sentiment analysis.

I tried to install the SRILM (both versions 1.6.0 and 1.7.0) on Ubuntu 12.04.

I installed all prerequisite packages mentioned in the website (in
addition to tcsh), and it doesn't work...

I also tried to follow the following common guides I found in
different forums:

1) Install tcsh if not already installed

2) Install all the TCL developer libraries: tcl8.4-dev, tcl-dev,
tcl-lib, tclx8.4, tclx8.4-dev.  This step may not be necessary, let me
know what works for you.

3) Uncomment the “SRILM =” line in the top level Makefile and replace
the existing path with the absolute path of the SRILM top-level
directory on your system (where the Makefile resides)

4) Start the tcsh shell

5) Type “make NO_TCL=X MACHINE_TYPE=i686-gcc4 World > & make.log.txt”
to begin the build and capture stderr and stdout in a file

6) If you can run “./bin/i686-gcc4/ngram-count -help“, the build was
probably a success

It doesn't work for both versions... and I'm getting fatal errors
(cannot find .h files, exiting directory, .... make: *** [World] Error
2)

Can you please help me with this problem?

I appreciate your help
--Ramy