[SRILM User List] make-big-lm with kn-/wb-discount

Sergey Zablotskiy sergey.zablotskiy at uni-ulm.de
Thu Oct 31 03:21:36 PDT 2013

Hi Everybody,

is there any workaround to combine modified Kneser-Ney smoothing for
lower-order n-grams along with Witten-Bell smooting for higher-order
n-grams using the MAKE-BIG-LM training script?

I am getting the following error/message:
make-big-lm: must use one of GT, KN, or WB discounting for all orders

while executing:
 >> make-big-lm -read ${count_file} -vocab ${vocab} -unk -order 4 \
         -kndiscount1 -kndiscount2 -kndiscount3 -wbdiscount4 \
         -interpolate -lm name.lm

I can not use the kndiscount for 4-Gram because some counts of counts
are zero in my case.

Thank you very much in advance,
Regards
Sergey.