[SRILM User List] Usage of make-big-lm and -interpolate option

Stefan Fischer sfischer at ymail.com
Fri Jun 27 07:46:41 PDT 2014

Thanks for your reply!

There is one thing I don't understand:
The training.txt file contains 857661 words and there are 4848 OOVs
that all occurr only once.

So, OOVs make up 0.00565% of training.txt.
If I use ngram-count directly, p(<unk>) is 0.00600, which is close to
the actual percentage.
If I use ngram-count + make-big-lm, p(<unk>) is 0.03206, which is 5
times higher than the actual percentage.

Do you have any explanation for that? It seems counter-intuitive ...
Is my corpus large enough for option -kndiscount?

Regards,
Stefan