[SRILM User List] Interpolating LMs with different smoothing

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at icsi.berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 18 11:06:40 PDT 2018

This is as expected.  You have two estimators (of conditional word
probabilities, i.e., LMs), each with random deviations from the true
probabilities.  By averaging their predictions you reduce the deviation
from the truth (assuming the deviations are randomly distributed).

For this reason you can almost always get a win out of interpolating
models that are approximately on par in their individual performance.
Other examples are

- random forest models
- sets of neural LMs initialized with different initial random weights
- log-linear combination of forward and backward running LMs
- sets of LMs trained on random samples from the same training set

These techniques all reduce the "variance" part of the modeling error
<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBias%25E2%2580%2593variance_tradeoff&data=01%7C01%7Csrilm-user%40speech.sri.com%7Cbf1d15c6a918412c407c08d5ecd93a1b%7C40779d3379c44626b8bf140c4d5e9075%7C1&sdata=QOmL3M1bKDrphq%2FbwLkFVSVkqCxvLFOg3ibgx5FaAHw%3D&reserved=0>.  Other
techniques (like interpolating models trained on different genres) do a
similar thing for the "bias"  part of the error.

Andreas