SRILM 1.4.5 released

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at speech.sri.com
Fri Sep 2 02:36:28 PDT 2005

In message <006601c5af7d$e7ff2cc0$7a40ba85 at pcn122>you wrote:
> Dear Dr.Stolcke,
>
> Thanks for the reply. Recently I have made an experiment on loglinear
> integration of multiple LMs. I found if the input LMs are in Arpa format,
> the output loglinear LM can be turned into Arpa format. I think you could
> give me some comments on the work because it seems you are thinking in the
> same way as I. I have made a program to implement the idea. Could you take
> some time to have a look at the page?
> http://www.slc.atr.jp/~rzhang/lma.html

Ruiqiang,

Thank you for this pointer to your web page.
I haven't had time to understand your code in detail, but I believe
you can achieve a similar effect using SRILM, maybe not as efficiently.

You can use the following steps to construct a merged N-gram LM
incorporating log-linear mixture probabilities.

Suppose your input LMs are called LM1, LM2, LM3, etc.

1. Use the standard linear mixture LM to create a new LM that has the
   union of all the ngrams:

	ngram -lm LM1 -mix-lm LM2 ... -write-lm MIXLM

2. Recompute the probabilities in the merged LM using the log-linear model:

	ngram -lm LM1 -mix-lm LM2 ... -rescore-ngram MIXLM -write-lm LOGMIXLM

(I omitted the lambda weight options in the last command.)
Note this will be rather slow, since the probability normalization has
to be carried out for each ngram context in the LM.

--Andreas