problems running tests

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at speech.sri.com
Sat Mar 10 12:27:00 PST 2007

In message <BAY128-F385C31DBD1584EBE697AF3BF7F0 at phx.gbl>you wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a newcomer to SRI LM and am having problems running the tests. Between a
> third and half the tests do not match the reference output. One example is
> the first test, adapt-marginals. Here is the stderr output:
>
> ../ngram-count-gt/swbd.3bo.gz: line 8: ngram line has 1 fields (3 expected)
> format error in lm file
> ../ngram-count-gt/eval97.text: line 5293: 5290 sentences, 38238 words, 0
> OOVs
> 0 zeroprobs, logprob= 0 ppl= 1 ppl1= 1
> using WittenBell for 1-grams
> warning: distributing 0.0720362 left-over probability mass over all 3379
> words
> writing 3380 1-grams
> ../ngram-count-gt/swbd.3bo.gz: line 8: ngram line has 1 fields (3 expected)
> format error in lm file
>

> The vocab-aliases test has very similar error output:
>
> reading 33110 1-grams
> ../ngram-count-gt/swbd.3bo.gz: line 8: ngram line has 1 fields (3 expected)
> format error in lm file

This indicates either

1) there is some problem with your cygwin installation
2) the files were somehow corrupted in unpacking.

If you have access to a unix or linux system you could unpack the tar.gz
file there and make sure the swbd.3bo.gz file can uncompressed.
I suspect it's something having to do with the way Windows distingishes
"text" from "binary" files.

Andreas

PS. If you built SRILM for the "win32" platform compressed files won't
be supported, and you should run the go.unzip script in the test directory
before attempting to run the tests.  However, this assumes you have aworking
gunzip in your cygwin installation.