[Fwd: SRILM]

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at speech.sri.com
Sun Jun 17 23:29:40 PDT 2007

In message <963905.98762.qm at web25404.mail.ukl.yahoo.com>you wrote:
> Hi, J.
>
> You can use class-ngram (see manpages) to generate
> classes from text automatically. Two files, class
> count (standard N-gram file with class labels as
> units) and class definition (telling you class
> assignments for words) files are generated. Use those
> to train LMs with ngram-count as usual, you need just
> to add -classes option to refer to the
> class-definition file.
> If you want to use classes of your own, it's a bit
> more tricky, since you have to take care of correct
> class-definition file forming.

I would add that one you have your class definitions (by hand, or as
the result of ngram-class), the recommended procedure is to
filter your training data through

	replace-words-with-classes classes=CLASS-DEFINITIONS-FILE

and the train the ngram model on the output (see training-scripts(1) manpage).

In testing you use that model together with the ngram -classes option
as Ilya said.

Andreas