7z as a much better archiver than gz/bz2

Alexy Khrabrov deliverable at gmail.com
Sat Nov 10 13:10:46 PST 2007

(Kamadev -- I think you misunderstood my message.)  I was wondering
whether folks manage use 7z to speed up their access to their LMs.
By default, ngram would read the gzipped files as well as the
originals.  Yet gzipped versions are still much larger than the
7z'ipped.  7z is an Open Source package with which I have no
affiliation...

By looking over 7z options, I found that one can extract a file to
stdout with it  too, e.g.

7z e archive.7z -so

It would be possible to do that for a huge LM and feed that to it by
piping to

ngram -lm -

-- yet the problem is, I use

ngram -ppl -

already to serve perplexities.

Would appreciate other folks' experiences with speeding up loading of
huge LM.  Same could be applied to bz2 as well, and any other
archiver better than gz.