[SRILM User List] Nbest list to lattice

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at speech.sri.com
Fri Aug 20 13:49:59 PDT 2010

Alfonso MHC wrote:
>  Hello,
>
> I would like to build a lattice in HTK format from a N-best list in
> HTK format. They told me I should use srilm for this so I have looked
> at the documentation. I think I should use nbest-lattice to construct
> the lattice from the N-best list. Then use lattice-tool to read the
> previous lattice and output it in HTK format. Is this correct?
Yes, this should be possible.  Note that you will loose the distinction
between acoustic scores, LM scores, etc., along the way because
nbest-latttice has no way to keep those separate.  (The resulting
lattices will encode the posterior probabilities obtained from combining
all the scores.)

> If I understood correctly, nbest-lattice supports three formats for
> nbest lists, but none of them is the HTK format. Is there any tool
> that can transform an HTK master label file with the N-best list into
> one of the formats that nbest-lattice supports?
Someone (not me) must have written a perl script of something to do this...

> I havent really found any examples of how to use the tools in srilm,
> is there anything available?
Look around the test directories
    $SRILM/*/test/tests
Each subdirectory has a script that exercises a particular aspect of SRILM.

Andreas