[SRILM User List] Variable N-grams

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at icsi.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 20 23:46:05 PDT 2011

In message <WC20110208120320.73055B at comp.iust.ac.ir>you wrote:

> hi all,
> I read a paper titled "Variable N-grams and Extensions for Conversational
> Speech Language modeling". I wonder is there any option in SRILM that help
> me to make Variable N-grams Language model?

You can achieve a "variable N-gram" type LM by first building a high-order LM
and then pruning the ngrams that don't give much perplexity gain (see ngram -prune
option).

However, building the unpruned LM first might run into memory limitations.
Also, there are known issues pruning KN-smoothed Ngram models.

A group in Helsinki developed an LM toolkit that implements selective growing of
ngrams and handles the KN smoothing properly.
See http://users.ics.tkk.fi/vsiivola/papers/is2007less.pdf for more information.