[SRILM User List] Fwd: trigger model

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at icsi.berkeley.edu
Wed May 4 20:08:18 PDT 2011

Andreas Søeborg Kirkedal wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have trained a 5-gram language model with SRILM. I would like to
> interpolate a trigger model to rerank translation hypotheses and I
> have computed the triggers.
>
> Since there is a built in way to interpolate a cache model, I wanted
> to ask whether this is already possible? Has this been done before?
>

> -Andreas
There is a facility for interpolating a constant  (typically large)  LM
with a second (smaller) LM that changes dynamically, potentially for
each sentence.
Typically, you would make the dynamic LM a unigram LM computed from the
sentence history, or other contextual information (i.e., a cache or
trigger LM).
You have to train the various incarnations of the dynamic LM yourself,
and then insert a special tag into the stream of input sentences to
indicate where the LM should change.

This mechanism is enabled by the ngram -dynamic and -dynamic-lambda options.
See the man page for detail on how to invoke it.  ngram -debug 1 will
allow you to trace the changes in the dynamic LM.