[SRILM User List] Lattice decoding problems

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at icsi.berkeley.edu
Tue May 24 14:22:40 PDT 2011

Stephan Gouws wrote:
>> Lattice-tool has the -read-mesh option which allows it to read CNs directly.
>>

> Thank you for the reply, Andreas. I am going to use SRI-LM's
> -read-mesh function. Just to be very clear on the mesh-format:
>
> >From the documentation, the format is given as
> """
> name s
> numaligns N
> posterior P
> align a w1 p1 w2 p2 ...
> """
>
> Now, please correct me where I am wrong here:
> - name s can be any string, e.g. name "somename". Do I need quotes?
> - numaligns == the number of confusion sets in the CN, plus the
> initial and end nodes? Do I need explicit initial and end nodes?
> - what exactly is P??

The total posterior probability mass represented by the CN.  This is
usually 1 but could be something else in certain scenarios.
> - a gives the current confusion set position, starting with 0 for
> "initial", 1 for the next, etc, and N-1 for "final" ?

Create a CN from a simple nbest lists, e.g.

nbest-lattice -nbest
$SRILM/lm/test/tests/nbest-rover/nbest-lists/sw_40008_A_0003136_0003462.score.gz
-use-mesh -write -

and the answers to the above questions will be obvious.

> - each individual confusion set's pi's must sum to 1?

yes, though this is not enforced when the file is read in.

Andreas