[SRILM User List] SRILM trigram worse than HTK bigram?

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at icsi.berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 23 10:12:50 PST 2012

You need to run a few sanity checks to make sure things are working as
you expect them to.

1.  Decode 1-best from the HTK lattice WITHOUT rescoring.  The results
should be the same as from the HTK decoder.  If not there might be a
difference in the LM scaling factor, and you may have to adjust is via
the command line option. There might also be issues with the CTM output
and conversion back to MLF.

2. Rescore the lattices with the same LM that is used in the HTK
decoder.   Again, the results should be essentially identical.
I'm not familiar with the bigram format used by HTK, but you may have to
convert it to ARPA format.

3. Then try rescoring with a trigram.

Approaching your goal in steps hopefully will help you pinpoint the
problem(s).

Andreas