[SRILM User List] SRILM trigram worse than HTK bigram?

Dmytro Prylipko dmytro.prylipko at ovgu.de
Sun Nov 25 08:51:03 PST 2012

1. Output is identical. Thus, LM scale factor does not play a decisive
role. Conversion to MLF from CTM is fine too.

2. I built a bigram in ARPA format with HTK (using HLStats). Here after
rescoring and decoding I have got the same recognition result as for LM
built with SRILM:  I tried to change the LM scale factor from 10 to 8
(the lattice was obtained with LM scale factor 8), but it gave no
difference.

Thus, the changes are introduced when rescoring.

I suggested the reason is the difference between start/end sentence
markers. For HTK they are !ENTER and !EXIT respectively, and for SRILM:
<s> and </s>. I do take it into account: I replace !ENTER and !EXIT
with <s> and </s> in the lattice file.
SRILM models are trained on the data, where <s> and </s> denote the
boundaries.
Also, I replaced these markers in the language model built with HTK in
order to let it process the existing lattice correctly.

However, when I tried to play around with those markers, it gave no
result.
Namely, I tried to use the HTK format only: the lattice generated and
the language model use !ENTER and !EXIT. Unfortunately, the output was
the same.

Do you have any further suggestions?

Yours,
Dmytro.