[SRILM User List] Hypothesis from a mesh

Andreas Stolcke stolcke at icsi.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 16 09:28:22 PDT 2013

On 10/16/2013 6:35 AM, Cristina Guerrero wrote:
> I'm working with confusion networks/sausages.
> Observing the posteriors in each 'align' it seems that the command:
> lattice-tool -read-mesh -in-lattice MY.MESH -viterbi-decode
> extracts the hypothesis with the lowest WER (it is with the highest
> posteriors per align). Is this correct? From my observation, using
> "-posterior-decode" doesn't extract the best-hypothesis out of a mesh.

Posterior decoding will extract the words with the highest posterior
probability estimates for each alignment position.   Of course these are
ESTIMATES, and even if you had accurate posterior probabilities the
actual words spoken could be different.   That's the nature of a
probabilistic classifier!