OOV calculations

Deniz Yuret dyuret at ku.edu.tr
Thu Nov 1 00:49:51 PDT 2007

Thank you.

> You cannot compare LMs with different OOV counts.  You need to create a
> model that assigns a nonzero probability to every event.  E.g., you
> could have a letter-probability model for OOVS.

As for your suggestion of creating a letter-probability model for OOVs
(and maybe interpolating it with the ngram model), are there any
tools/documentation in the srilm package that could be helpful?  If
not I think we can (1) go into the source code and figure out how to
create a new letter-probability LM, or (2) create an independent
letter-probability LM outside srilm and manually interpolate its
results with the -debug 2 output of ngram.

I am assuming here (maybe contrary to your suggestion) that we can
create a model that assigns a nonzero probability to every event by
interpolating a regular ngram model (with OOVs > 0) and a
letter-probability model.

deniz